Hello – Thank you for your inquiry into the Manatee Habitat for Humanity Homeownership Program. We at Manatee Habitat strive to assist prospective homeowners with their dream of stability and success through responsible homeownership. This is a challenging endeavor. It is important for you to be intentional and serious about this potential opportunity. You are not given a home, you earn the privilege of purchasing a home. Once accepted into the program, it takes about 1 to 2 years to complete.
Please read this entire page and be honest and open. It’s important follow the instructions in the last paragraph.
Please review the income guidelines in the chart below – the number to the left refers to household size. Example: if you have 3 people in your household and you have an annual income of $30,000 – you don’t meet the income criteria because the minimum income for 3 people in household is $34,750. We look at your gross annual income (before taxes). You can include child support if you receive regularly and it can be verified. In order for you to see if you meet some of the criteria for Homeownership, please review the information below.
In determining whether you qualify to purchase a home through Manatee County Habitat for Humanity – we will also consider the following:
- Your family’s present need for adequate shelter, as reflected by the condition and size of your present living facilities, and any special needs you may have.
- Your family’s total monthly income, which must fall within certain guidelines. You must be working in your current job for at least 1 year. Verifiable income for at least 2 years. If you are self-employed you need to have 5 years tax returns showing adequate income.
- Your ability to pay a monthly mortgage payment as well as utility and maintenance costs for your house and other current debts.
- Your willingness to become a “partner” in the process of building your house and learning how to care for it. All approved applicants are required to contribute 300 – 500 hours of labor (called “sweat equity hours”) to Habitat activities.
- Have savings of $2500.00 ($2000 placed in an escrow account for down payment and Homeowners Insurance) held by Manatee County Habitat for Humanity) $500 emergency savings fund.
Candidates for home ownership must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be at least 21 years old.
- Have lived in Manatee County for at least 1 year. NOT A HOMEOWNER
- Have verifiable income that meeting the Habitat criteria (See Chart) Applicant pays income taxes on all taxable income and files an annual federal tax return
- Applicant and co-applicant are either a U.S. citizen or a legal resident alien.
- Applicant and co-applicant have not filed for bankruptcy in the last three years.
- No one in household is a registered sex offender
- Ability to pass a background check.
- No one in household is affiliated with a gang
Applicants have less than $1,200 in non-medical collections, charged off credit accounts or judgments. This includes defaulted student loans. Must pay off all outstanding bad debts 60 days before closing. If you need to review your credit report – you can do so for free at: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
You can request free credit counseling at: www.cccsmd.org
If you meet this criteria, please respond to this email with the following information:
1) The total gross monthly income, and from what sources for your household – break it down by person.
2) what is your job description and employer? How long have you been with your present employer?
3) The number of adults and their ages and if there is a couple.
4) the number of children, their genders and ages.
You may be placed on a waiting list and you may be contacted within the next 12 months for a phone interview. Please let me know if you are a Veteran with an honorable discharge. Thank you and please get the COVID-19 Vaccination.